Sunday, 6 November 2016

Edwardian Romance & Murder Mystery




Reviewed by Fran - short & sweet because it's a murder mystery, and I don't want to give away the clues.


.A murder mystery set against the backdrop of a trans-Atlantic cruise ship was too intriguing to miss, and I’m glad I didn’t let this one slip to the bottom of my TBR Kindle list for a “come-to-read” at a later date. The lead characters – victims as well as suspects – set the tone of the era and its social mores, whilst the cleverly constructed mystery aspect holds throughout and comes to light at the very end. Albeit I had my suspicions in respect of one murder, and felt vindicated at the outcome, the second murderous villain escaped my notice, and that’s how a murder mystery should be: undetectable and intriguing. While this is a delightful cosy murder mystery in the vein of Miss Marple aboard ship, likewise it has an overall genteel ambience veiling sinister undertones! A lovely read.